Simon Says

Bringing clarity to the inner workings of our legal system

When can I apply for a record suspension?

The waiting period depends on whether the Crown proceeded summarily or indictably. Indictable offences are more serious and carry higher maximum sentences.

If the Crown proceeded summarily, then the waiting period is 5 years. If the Crown proceeded by indictment, then the waiting period is 10 years. (If you’re unsure of how the Crown proceeded, contact the court where your matter was prosecuted to get more information.)

Note that the waiting period isn’t from the date of sentencing: it’s from the time the sentence has been served.

This means the clock only starts after jail time has been served, probation complete, and fines and restitution paid. This means individuals may need to wait significantly longer than 5 or 10 years to apply for a record suspension.

It’s possible to bring an application to the sentencing judge to reduce the time on probation, which (if granted) could reduce the waiting period.

Unpaid fines are a common concern. Individuals may not have been aware that money was owing or didn’t keep records to confirm payment. So even if more than a decade has gone by since being sentenced, the waiting period will not have started if there’s still an unpaid fine or restitution owing.

If you need advice or assistance with applying for a record suspension, contact us today.

Past performance is not indicative of future results, and outcomes will vary according to the facts of individual cases. This site is intended for information purposes only. None of the information on this site should be considered “legal advice.” Information on this website (including blog posts and answers to frequently asked questions) is the opinion of the author only and is not warrantied or guaranteed to be an exhaustive, definitive, or accurate statement of the law. The proper interpretation and application of the law must always be done on a case specific basis; therefore, you should not rely on the general information on this site as a substitute for proper legal research or the advice of a licenced lawyer.